Posted 1st January 2012
Limoncello is perfect for Christmas and great for sharing with family and friends. My Dad made some this Christmas and it was sublime. Best of all you don’t need to wait for months and months before it’s ready. This is done in just over a week.
Ingredients (makes 70cl of Limoncello)
6 unwaxed lemons
250g caster sugar
70cl bottle of good quality vodka
1) Wash and dry the lemons then remove the zest in fine strips with a vegetable peeler. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and set aside.
2) Pour 100ml water into a small pan, add the zest and sugar then bring to the boil slowly, stirring occasionally until the sugar is disolved.
3) Reduce the heat and immer for 15 minutes. Add the lemon juice then simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the heat then set aside to cool.
4) Pour the vodka into a large sterilised preserving or kilner jar and add the lemon syrup mixture. Secure the lid and giv it a good shake.
5) Set aside in a cool dark place for a week, shake the jar every day.
6) Strain off the lemon zest and decant into bottles after a week. The Limoncello will keep like this for months.
And enjoy! Perfect as an after dinner drink or palette cleanser