Posted 22nd April 2010
This is a recipe given to me by my good friend, Katie. It’s one which has worked every time I’ve made it and is easy to customise to your own tastes!
There seems to be a weird misconception that ice cream is difficult and fiddly to make at home but this simply isn’t the case (not for this recipe anyway!)
½ packet Dark chocolate
2 Crunchie bars (or any other flavouring you want)
330 ml Double Cream
Electric whisk (or a hand whisk and strong arms)
Large Tupperware / Empty ice cream tub or plastic tub with lid
In this recipe I’ve got for chocolate ice cream with crunchie however you can customise the flavourings how you like.
TIP – if you do vanilla, try to use pods rather than just essence – you will need quite a lot of flavouring to get the taste. If you’re going for a fruity one, steer clear of sour fruits unless you plan on adding a lot of extra sugar.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Freezing Time: 8 hours
1. Separate egg yolks in to one bowl (the larger of the 2) and whites in to the other
2. Add 2 level desert spoons of Caster Sugar to the Egg Whites and whisk to Peaks
3. In the other bowl whisk 1 level desert spoon of caster sugar, the double cream and the egg yolks together until stiff
4. Fold the egg whites into the yolks mixture
5. Meanwhile, melt about 5 rows of Dark cooking chocolate, once melted, fold this into the mixture
6. Crush up 2 crunchie bars (or any other flavours you like) and fold these into the mixture
7. Then pour the mixture into your tupperware or ice cream tub and freeze overnight/for 8 hours min. You dont need to take it out or stir it during this time as other recipes suggest. Just leave it in there until you want to eat!!